Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Easy Baked Manicotti!

OK so my husband has thrown a SMALL monkey wrench into my dinner plans tonight, not to worry I always have a back up plan!! I was going to make a spaghetti sauce from scratch and make Manicotti stuffed with chicken and cheese but I will not have time because my wonderful husband got Braves tickets for tonight:) were still doing Manicotti but a little different. I have used this recipe before and it really is YUMMY. The sauces aren't from scratch but it will do!
Here we go...
2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided (the sauce I'm using is Muir Glen Organic 4 cheese)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups Ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pesto......(even if you don't usually like pesto, use it in this. It really brings all the flavors of the cheeses together!)
12 manicotti shells, cooked and rinsed in cold water(I'm boiling the noodles now and then will put them on a greased tray into the fridge until this evening when I am ready for them)

preheat oven to 350. Spread 3/4 cup spag. sauce on bottom of 13x9 baking dish. Mix egg,cheeses and pesto until well blended. Spoon cheese mixture into large resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole on one of the corners.
Fill manicotti shells, squeezing the mixture into both sides....(what I was going to do was cut chicken into strips and put a piece into each shell first and then add the mixture to both sides but that adds to the cook and prep time)

Put the filled shells onto the sauce that's in the baking dish, pour the remaining sauce over the noodles. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.

It sounds like a lot to do but its really one of the easiest ways to stuff the noodles and the kids can do a lot of this with you!!

I found this recipe from one of the Kraft food and family magazines a long time ago. I have tweaked it a bit with putting the chicken in the noodles and also with adding the Pesto( my kids and husband don't even know that its in there).
In the last year or so I saw that same recipe written again by someone else and they added the Pesto in it. Oh well I guess I missed my chance at being in print!!

I hope you guys get a chance to use this recipe, it really is YUMMY!!

HAPPY COOKING!!

1 comment:

The Dinsmores said...

I have a question......Is there a trick to getting the mixture into the shells without splitting them? Everytime I make Manicotti I get so frustrated with that!

P.S. Have fun at the Braves game!