Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's for dinner??

Tonight for dinner were having another thing that I concocted many years ago.....

Spicy Chicken and Pasta

chicken breasts(I use about 2 1/2 pounds of breasts)
black pepper
Diced tomatoes(I'm using 2 cans of Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted w/medium green chile's, you can also use just regular Ro-Tel)
Mexican shredded cheese
Rotini pasta(I'm using Hodgson Mill, Whole Wheat Veggie Pasta)(its fun colored pasta and the kids don't even realize its good for them)

Brown your chicken breasts, season with pepper.
Add diced tomatoes cover and cook on medium to low heat for 30 minutes.
You shouldn't have to add water, the tomatoes have a lot of water in them. If your chicken sticks to the pot, turn heat down and add just a little bit of water.
Follow the directions on your pasta and boil it.(DUHH!)
When everything is finished cooking, I serve the chicken on top the pasta and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. My husband tops his chicken with the diced tomatoes, then cheese.

I serve this with Casadian Farms Organic broccoli florets, sauteed in Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil, butter and a little Cajun seasonings!! YUMMY!!


Tomorrow night I will be grilling hamburgers and I have to share this BBQ sauce recipe with you guys,(I have also put it on chicken) it is SO good and SO easy!

Country Barbecue Sauce(from Taste of Home's Grilling Favorites, one of those books you find at register check out:)

3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon vegetable oil(I use Smart Balance oil)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced

mix all these ingredients together and spread it on your meat on the grill once it is almost done cooking....YUMMY

Happy Cooking!


I know some of you think I'm a little weird because I plan meals ahead of time(some of you have been bold enough to tell me this to my face:)
I do this because even though I work part time, my kids have me working full time! So if I know we have a crazy evening schedule, which during school we always do, the next couple of days I plan for easy dinners(like the 2 things I posted) I also will do double duty on nights that I can. Like tomorrow night we will have hamburgers, while I'm making those I will also roll out meatballs and cook those for Friday nights dinner. So then on Friday all I have to do is put the red sauce over the meatballs, simmer them for about 30 minutes and make pasta!! I also make things on the weekend and freeze them.... It's not that I don't have a life or 50 million things to do, my priorities are, # 1 taking care of my family and feeding them good things is top on that list!

No comments: