Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Slap ya mama" chicken

My friend Elizabeth over at Take A Whisk sent me a WONDERFUL website called allrecipes where she found this super YUMMY chicken recipe. I fixed it on Sunday and oh my word, let me tell you it was soooo good.
I pretty much followed the directions, the only thing I did differently was, instead of white pepper I used "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning. It is like Tony Chachere but it has white pepper in it. I also put organic chopped garlic in the chickens with the onions.
I prepared the chickens the night before and let them marinate from 9:00 pm on Saturday until 10:30 on Sunday.
We had enough food for Sunday dinner, Monday lunches (yes my kids take lunch in style!) and Monday night dinner. And it got better each time we ate it!
This will be another staple in our weekday menu.....

Elizabeth also left me a really nice post on her blog page, that of course made me a little teary eyed. (I know your SHOCKED)
I shared my Red Beans recipe with her and they loved it!!

Thanks girl for the nice words about my blog, its always nice to hear such encouraging words about something that we put our heart and soul in. In this case its my blog and my beans :):)

what you need to make

Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 onions, quartered
2 (4 pound) whole chickens





DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
Remove and discard giblets from chicken.
Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel.
Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture.
Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken.
Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place chickens in a roasting pan.
Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Happy Cooking!!

3 comments:

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

Sounds yummo! Will you come over and take the giblets out? I don't do giblets!

Elizabeth said...

I knew you'd love it! I stuff the chicken with onions and lemons or oranges too (squeeze the juice over the bird before stuffing). Yummy!

Try making the spice rub ahead of time. Stash in your cupboard and use when you need it.

I often make the spices, attach the recipe, and give it to neighbors, teachers etc. Of course, the card reads SEASONS GREETINGS (get it?) :P

The Dinsmores said...

I tried this recipe today and it was YUMMY!