Saturday, March 28, 2009

Swanson Pan Sauteed' Chicken with Vegetables and Herbs

We have had some nasty weather here since Wednesday. It is suppose to clear up tomorrow and tomorrow can't come soon enough. We had Jakob's belated birthday party last night. 3 friends, the movie Monsters vs. Aliens, pizza place and a sleepover.

It all went well and now it is Saturday and nasty!

So today I will be cooking, A LOT......

It makes the day go by and it gives EVERYONE some much needed use of pent up energy.

A few weeks ago I made this recipe and it was a huge hit.
I'm making it again today but I'm changing a few things up, it was good but we N'Awlins people are always looking to spice things up.

I'm sharing the original recipe and listing my "extras" in parenthesis.

I hope you get time to make this, it really is worth the effort......


Swanson Pan Sauteed' Chicken with Vegetables and Herbs

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • (1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
  • (1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
  • 4 bone in chicken breasts halves ( I used 5 really fat boneless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds worth and cut them down the middle to have 10 pieces)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 small red onions, cut into quarters
  • 1 lb. new potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 8 ounces fresh whole baby carrots, about 16, green tops trimmed to 1 inch (I cut the green tops all the way off)
  • 1 1/2 cups Swanson chicken stock
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

Here we go........

  • Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine black pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and flour. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture.

  • Heat the oil in a 12 inch oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it's well browned on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

  • Add the onions and potatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, stock, lemon juice and oregano and heat to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet.

  • Cover the skillet.

  • Bake at 350 degrees, for 20 minutes. Uncover the skillet and bake for 15 minutes longer or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the veggies are tender.

  • Sprinkle with the thyme.


HAPPY COOKING!!

4 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

That sounds delish. I'm going to have to make some!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

sounds yum! the weather here took a turn for the cold too...spring come back!

Kristin said...

Sounds yummy! Too bad I don't cook.

Elizabeth said...

Come make it for me. I'm sick and whining and can't eat husband food one more night.