Monday, October 6, 2008

Our Family's Gift...


Every year our family adopts an "angel" from the giving tree, either at church or one of the stores. We purchase everything that is on the wish list and we also get extra items like books, socks, underwear and I try and find a coat in really good condition at a consignment store.
We started doing this when Alex was 2 years old. A girlfriend and I would put in together and get whatever we could. As the years have gone on, I try and do extra things for family's that I know are in some type of need.

This year I have come up with an idea and I wanted to share it with you all....

If you have a Publix supermarket in your area, then your familiar with their .01 cent coupon in their Sunday ad section. Every week they offer an item (usually a Publix brand item) for a penny. I've seen it range from peanut butter to coffee to a 4 pack of toilet paper.
What I have decided to do is, every week (I started last week ) buy that item and make a basket of goodies with it.
I will do this until December 14th, that gives us eleven weeks. (That's .11 cents out of my pocket).

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I am a coupon momma!! I get very excited to see how much money I have saved at the end of the week.

What I'm going to do with the money I save is, at the end of the week I'm adding up all my receipts with coupon savings and putting the money in a fish bowl that is labeled "Our Family's Gift" on our counter. Even if it's only .30 cents that week. (I usually in one week save about 2- 5 dollars, with my coupons.)
Whatever money we collect by December 14th, we will buy either a turkey or a small ham for the family were donating to.

We have a family that we know has fallen onto some really hard times this year and I know would be more than grateful to have some of Santa's magic delivered to their door one evening. I have talked it over with my hubby and kids and everyone is on board!

I want my kids to know the importance of helping others. Writing a check to help different charities is a wonderful thing that we do every month. But I want them to see the pile of goodies get bigger and see that fish bowl fill up with coins and dollars.....

It really is a wonderful feeling to "give". Whether it's your time to a friend in need, your expertise to someone who needs help with something or your pennies that really can add up to something much more!!

What special things do you and your family do??
I'm always looking for good ideas!!

1 comment:

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

This is a great idea! Oz and I were talking about helping out at a homeless shelter with the kids. We want them to have a heart to help others and to realize how blessed we really are!