Saturday, October 11, 2008

Homecoming here we come, like it or not!!


my handsome Alex
I love this one because they were both nervous and the giggles had started to set in!
Just take the picture please.....














A couple of weeks ago Alex came home and asked me if he could go to the Homecoming dance. After we talked about where the dance was and how he could not leave once he got there and all the BLAH BLAH BLAH......he then asked me if he could ask Schyler to go with him.


I have talked about her before to you all. This is his little "friend" that he has been having since February. They kept up their "friendship" (I know I should stop saying his "friend" and just say the real term but it's my blog and I can call her what ever I like!) during the summer. She is a sweet girl and I really like her mother (isn't that the most important thing?)



We allowed Alex to invite her to be his "date". She said yes after talking to her parents (see were not the only ones).



All week Alex has been a little nervous off. I've tried to talk to him and let him know that it's very natural to be a little nervous or anxious about new things. He assured me he was fine.



I asked on Thursday about her dress so I could order a corsage, he says mom she does not want a corsage. I told him son you asked her to the dance and that's what a gentlemen does and of course she wants one son, why would she not?

Did you ask her?

No, I just know she doesn't want one.



So I'm thinking he is to embarrassed to give her one. I didn't push the issue, I called her mom to ask her what she thought and she said that Schyler made a comment saying she didn't want one. Her mother (being a little skeptical as well, inquired more about it). When she talked to her more, discovered the child REALLY didn't want one.....



OK one less thing I have to buy.



So then goes the shopping for his clothes.

Of course he hates his shirt, he hates his pants, he hates that he has to tuck the shirt into the pants that he hates and don't even get me started on shoes......SERIOUSLY
I thought girls were suppose to be hard.



Saturday afternoon as his latest meltdown is about to "take off", I had to remind him that I am his mother (believe it or not I do have to remind them of this sometimes) and if his tone did not change IMMEDIATELY he wasn't going to have to worry about anything because he would be watching his brother and sister for the evening and his father and I would go and "represent" for him. The tickets were not going to waste, someone was going to Homecoming, like it or not!

He changed his tone rather quickly!



I know everything that our family is going through with a GOD HELP ME preteen is normal and I want him to be able to express him self and talk about his problems and nervousness.

But he also needs to maintain his respect and his manners when talking to us......



That's going to be battle life lesson # 781,999.

I had to remind him last night that everything that's happening to him, is also happening to his father and I.

Were on this journey with him....LORD HEAR MY PRAYERS!



He was a little frazzled on the way to the dance. Once we got there, he could see she was too, they both just kind of calmed down and realized OK, it's fine.



When I went back to pick him up, I could see he was having a really good time. (I was so happy to see that) On the way home, he told me about the dances he learned and how they slow danced to a song. He was very excited to talk about his evening (I know those days are probably few and far between, I hope not, but for last night I enjoyed his thoughts)



LET'S PAUSE FOR A QUICK KLEENEX BREAK:



He then told me he was very happy to have me to talk to, when he feels all of these crazy feelings and he was really sorry for speaking to me the way that he did....



SNIFF SNIFF





HE LIKES ME, HE REALLY REALLY LIKES ME :):)

2 comments:

PRICELESS MEMORIES said...

Oh Alex looks so handsome. I'm glad he has such a great momma to talk with!

Elizabeth said...

OMG, pass the Kleenex.

How old is Alex?

Sam (11) got his first call from a girl a couple of weeks ago. (And yes, my initial response was what a hussy, calling a boy!!) It was official school business--I was told. But, then he came to me and told me that his cheeks get all hot when he talks to her.

Sometimes I think as they get older, they need you more!! Just to listen, if anything.

I think boys are DEFINITELY harder to wardrobe than girls! At least girls have an opinion. Boys do too, but they don't want anyone to know that they have an opinion. And to FORCE him to tuck his shirt in. You ogre.

He looks so awesome. What a handsome kid.

Ahhhh to be young again. Remember those sweaty palm days?