Thursday, January 9, 2014

Let me 'splain it to you Lucy

As we get older we start to realize family members traits in ourselves more and more, my children pointed out another one to me the other day.

My grandmother (Lucy) has always loved to tell stories. Stories from the past, stories from her day, whatever it was it was never just a -this is how it went deal- it was always a story. Usually long and usually filled with to much information.

Before finding out that a family member was getting married she would say what she was doing before she answered the phone, how she knew by the tone of their voice that it was going to be good news and everything that person had done in life (good and bad) since the first day she knew them. After about 30 minutes in, I would realize that I have no idea who this person is and that she is now talking about someone else and of course I still don't know who they are. But just for the sake of having to hear WHY I SHOULD know these people I smile and nod and think about what I'm doing with my potatoes for dinner .

Alas, the wedding is this March and the bridesmaids will wear lavender.

And then starts the next story of her friend who got married in March and now I'm on to what I'm cooking tomorrow.

This of course is just a made up version but you get the drift. And if you don't then let me explain it to you, you see my grandmother is an Italian lady who grew up in a large family. She had 3 sisters and 1 brother, all of whom she loved very much, but of course they got on each others nerves as families do, she married my paw paw who came from an even bigger Cajun French family......

Are you baking or frying your chicken tonight?

No comments: