Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sharing The Love

2 of our non chocolate (yes there is such a thing:) favorite desserts to make are, Ugly Cake and Berry Shortbread Dreams....

These 2 recipes are no where listed as healthy and they are a far cry from my ever day cooking, but it's the holidays.
You have to break out the FATTENING stuff!

I have said many times here that I love to cook.

Now baking that is another story.

I love to TRY things but there never pretty and I get frustrated easily when I bake.

As long as it taste good then I'm fine. I leave the pretty stuff to the bakery!



The Ugly Cake recipe was given to me by a woman that I was "friends" with when we lived in Louisiana and my children were at St. Edwards.

The only nice thing I can say about her, was that I got this recipe :)

Ugly Cake.....

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 package of yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick of melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans. (The pecans are never chopped enough for me, so I pour them into a napkin and use my meat tenderizer and smash them into a powder)

Mix all these ingredients together.

Pour them into a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Then mix 3 eggs
1 - 8 ounce of low fat cream cheese ( I use low fat, just because)
1 - box of powered sugar

Mix with electric mixer until well blended and pour over the other mixture that is in the pan...

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Cool very well before cutting ( I let mine cool for an hour)



Berry Shortbread Dreams (Taste Of Homes Christmas Cookies and Candies)

1 cup of butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups of all - purpose flour
1/3 to 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in extract; gradually add flour until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Roll into 1 - inch balls. Place 1 in apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Fill with jam.

Bake at 350 degrees for 14 - 18 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spoon additional jam into cookies if desired.

Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cookies...

My kids call these cookies "A little slice of heaven!



Let me know if you make either one and how they come out for you......

HAPPY BAKING!!

1 comment:

DeFusco said...

Where do I get powered sugar? What does it do, make me fly? Give me everlasting bedroom stamina? I must know!!!!!