Thursday, February 5, 2009

34 of 365 memories....Bocconcini stuffed meatballs if you please!

This recipe is something I got from Rachael Ray and have used it a few times. I tried it with the original ingredients that I've posted on here.

We weren't huge fans of the sausage. So the next time I made my regular meatballs and wrapped them around the cheese, baked them for the same amount of time and laid them over the tomato-basil sauce....YUMMY

Here is the original recipe from the cooking queen, I'm also adding a link to the recipe. They have smashed potatoes and broccolini she recommend to make with it. I've done them both. We prefer regular steamed broccoli and regular mashed potatoes.



1 tub bocconcini (bite-size fresh mozzarella in water)
2 pounds Italian hot or sweet fresh chicken, turkey or pork sausage, bulk if available
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling, 4-5 tablespoons total


1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28 ounces)

1 tub good quality, freshly prepared pesto, available in the refrigerated case at the grocery store

Remove the sausages from their casings, if bulk sausage is not available, and place in a bowl. Combine the meat into a single mound, then score it into four sections. Each section will yield three large sausage meatballs. To form each ball, take a handful of meat and wrap it around a piece of mozzarella. Roll 12 balls. Wash your hands after handling the raw sausage. Coat the balls with a drizzle of EVOO. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until cooked through and evenly browned.


Add the tomatoes to a small pot or skillet, mash with a potato masher and season with salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat, then simmer to reduce, about 8-10 minutes.
Turn the heat off the tomatoes and stir in 1/2 cup of the prepared pesto.



Serve three stuffed sausage balls with tomato-basil sauce on top or underneath. Which ever way you like!!


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I just gained 9 pounds looking at your blog. Please, share some more pictures of crab so I can go off the deep end.

So, can I use the fresh mozarella that I make from milking our buffalo?

(Sad attempt at humor)