Thursday, August 27, 2009

203 of 365 memories... MANDATORY EVACUATION

You all know that I'm all about my signs. I look for them and pretty much find them in everything I do. Now I know some people (including my wonderful hubby) think that it's a bunch of nonsense and that if you really want to, you can turn anything into "a sign". If that's really the case, what's wrong with that?
I'm thinking NOTHING!

When I went looking for houses in Georgia, it was a tireless search. It was during the hurricane craziness. I was trying to find a house in a really good public school district and at one point I told my real estate agent, I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel. I keep getting up and running, but I'm ending up in the same place :(

And then, one day at the very end of my "papers of houses stack" we pulled up to what would be our future home. From the moment we pulled up, I told her (the real estate agent) this was it!! She told me, that she wished all her clients were this sure and (easy), I told her so did my husband :) and from that moment on, WE HAD A HOUSE!!

When Brian and I came back to look at the house together, he kept saying ARE YOU SURE?
And my response was, YES!!
And then when we were walking around, just one last time. I stood on the front porch of the house and looked at the front door.
This is what I saw.....





It's my Fleur De Lis sign.

I mean REALLY folks, if this wasn't a sign, I don't know what is?!




Louisiana was is disarray. My family and friends were spread all over the map and I needed a sign. And (critics or not) I got one.



Since that day, my home has more NOLA, Louisiana, Fleur De Lis loving, than it knows what to do with.








I'm a very proud, born and raised NOLA girl. And I still am ALWAYS on the look out for my signs.


Instead of focusing on the crazy stuff that was happening 4 years ago in my home state, I thought maybe it would be nice to remember some of the good that came out of the devastation (hurricane Katrina). Families pulling together,strangers helping strangers and the fact that so many people realized that New Orleans, Louisiana and all it's surrounding areas were worth saving!




I'm walking friends, down memory lane. 4 years ago, on this day. I was suppose to be getting dressed to have a night out with my family and friends to celebrate my 30th birthday and instead, we followed a MANDATORY EVACUATION and packed up our most important belongings, including our 3 children. And my husband and I ran away from the beast. We had no idea, of what was to come in the next few days......

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Heidi, you must write a book.

I'm so jealous of your talents.