Thursday, May 6, 2010

and then there were 5

~This post has been sitting in my drafts for over a month. It has been sitting there just as patient and quietly as would the little lady that I wrote it about. Not complaining, no hands raised going OH OH ME ME YOU FORGOT ABOUT MEEEEEEEE!!!! Yet just another reason I adore her the way I do~

Once upon a time (April 5th 2002 to be exact) Brian and I added another precious moment into our lives, a baby girl. Eight years later I still look at my angel faced girl, and wonder how on earth did I get so lucky. Hannah Marie looks like a carbon copy of her father; from her blond curls, blue marbled eyes, and perfectly kissable lips. Her heart is made of gold, finding the right in everyone. I don't think she ever learned how to walk, she went straight from crawling to skipping. She dots everything she writes with a heart, and puts sparkly earrings on everyone she draws. Hannah dreams in colors, and hopes that one day she can have a rainbow house. She leaves her father and I little notes when we're not looking, that sometimes take our breath away. My baby shoots hoops with the boys one minute and is playing makeovers the next.
When we were told we were having a girl, I honestly didn't believe the doctor. "Look again", I told her, "there's a penis in there somewhere!" We put off painting her room until the very last minute, just in case, you know they found the missing penis in my last ultrasound. Then one Sunday morning I woke up and told Brian, "we're having a girl and she needs a pink room." We happily painted a beautiful pale pink color, it was a color that neither one of us ever thought we would paint. Since the moment I met my daughter she has been changing my life. I wanted to be a better woman for her, a better friend for her, a better teacher for her. In hopes that one day she will look back and say, I had one hell of a momma. Each day that passes brings more and more joy into our lives. Our babies are growing into remarkable human beings, and each one of them have personalities that will one day help change the world.
There is a line in a country song that pretty much sums up what this little creature means to my hubby and I......................... "she's her daddy's girl and her mommas world." More perfect words have never been spoken. I look forward to the future for so many reasons; one being to watch my girl continue on growing into the beautiful lady she is and another reason to tell her the story of how our family of 4 became a family of 5 and we ended it on a pink note :)

Happy Birthday Hannah Marie, you are my skipping little ray of sunshine, and I am truly blessed to be able to call myself your momma.

No comments: